Thursday, July 27, 2017

It occurs to me with greater and greater frequency that my children will soon leave home. Seeing them for days in a row and having mundane conversations about what's for dinner will be a treat I look forward to on holidays and college breaks. Though it will be the height of grownup excitement for them, it will be terribly sad and weird for me. So, I want to make the most of the short time I have left with them living under my roof. I want to laugh and talk and hear what they're thinking. I want to tell them what I'm thinking and that I'm praying for them.

Though Bobby and I sometimes hit the mark with this parenting stuff, sadly, our television often gets in the way. We get sucked into the TV and the couch and before we know it, bedtime arrives.

Things to do after you Break Your TV:  1.  Play Outside!
I read a lot about TV viewing when my children were little. No one thinks excessive television is a good idea. In fact, too much screen time proves harmful to a child's brain development and health. So, when the boys were little I religiously monitored their TV viewing. There was a point in their very young lives when I allowed them one video a week. A week!

But, I have been much less zealous in recent years and I have always been much more lenient on myself. At times, the energy required to cope with life seemed much too demanding. The situations vary, but my response is the same: escape. Sleep, TV or really good books have done the trick for me. None of those was too bad, right? No, but the excess of each of them made me less of who I was created to be, not more. That's not what I want.

Are we, as Americans, more and more prone to “vegging out”? Is it just me? Why do I do that? Habit? Sure. Stress? Maybe. The pace of life or the constant-ness of the world? I can't go 20 minutes without my phone feeling the need to tell me I received an email. I get daily updates from the White House and a guy named Brad who tells me where all the best deals are.

2.  Blow Bubbles!
With life swirling so uncontrollably, I often feel the need to sit very still, pick up a remote control and watch someone else live life. I blame this on “Brad” and the White House. I sit in my spot on the couch where I'm magically transported to another time and place where beautiful people a.) have no problems at all, b.) solve their problems in under an hour, or c.) have issues, but at least they're funny.

I know excessive screen time is bad for a developing brain. It's not doing wonders for my old brain either, but I wonder what happens to the health and development of the family when you watch too much TV.

In our family, we neglect to talk about stuff, and when we don't talk about stuff problems build up. We've got to have a break, at least occasionally, to clean out and kick start communication.

I sometimes want to get rid of our TV, like break it with a hammer or chunk it out the window. Bobby and I didn't have a TV when we first married and we lived without one for two years on the mission field. But, honestly, I like an occasional Netflix marathon and Bobby would go mad without March Madness. So, I just want to break our TV occasionally.

Years ago, Bobby had this brilliant idea. He thought we should come up with a list of activities to do once you Break Your TV. He suggested putting one of those sticky things on the TV that make it look like someone broke your window with a baseball. We talked about it and thought of ideas. We did it occasionally. But, as it often happens, we let it slide.

With college looming and children who have busier social schedules than I do, I can't afford to let it slide any longer. Once a week, I'm going to do it. I'm going to break our TV. 

That doesn't mean we can sit around surfing the webernet.  We will do something together - play a game, take a hike, make dinner.

3.  Read a Book!
 Now, who's with me?

While I could do this alone, I really don't want to. I need help and support and ideas.

I'll let you know how it goes with us. If you give this a try, can you let me know how it goes with you too?

I'd love to hear how you handle the television with your family. Are you not really worried about it? Did you get rid of your TV a long time ago? Do you watch only the news and Netflix? I am positive some of you out there have this down and have great input and wisdom to offer. I'm counting on you!


"I can’t make the point often enough that television is not the enemy of the family but because of its content; it is the enemy of the family because it devours precious time."
Crunchy Cons by Rod Dreher

2 comments:

  1. Not the news. It is much too sad and scary.
    We only have Netflix, Prime, and YouTube. The dvd player is not currently working. I almost never watch TV (sometimes just to help me through a huge pile of laundry that needs folded) but I do escape with reading, social media, and Pinterest. As for the kids, we sometimes hide the remote controls in the safe for a long period of time. It might be to motivate them to clean, punish bad behavior, or just limit their screen time. When we give the remotes back they are completely zoned out, which can be used to our advantage. Sometimes we have no screen-time Sundays.
    There are so many moms who judge one another because of this issue. I feel guilty all on my own. I also know adults who didn't have TV as children and watch it obsessively now. I think it is good to have some balance and, as you suggested, keep it off and purposely engage with others from time to time! I think this goes for phones, tablets, and computers, too.
    I love your thoughts on this. Most people would shy away, so thanks for having the courage to go there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always appreciate your thoughts Lindsay. I like the idea of hiding the remotes in the safe! That's funny.

      Delete