Tuesday, September 29, 2015

I recently came across this thing I wrote a while back. It's about my sister's wedding and it gave me a sweet, nostalgic feeling. Maybe you have a couple you need to celebrate or maybe you need to celebrate your own romance, or maybe you just need to remember how much you love your siblings. Regardless, I hope you like this and I hope it makes you want to write your own tribute for someone you hold dear.

The thing on my mind today is my sister’s wedding. She and Keith Forrester were wed on June 27, 2009 in Atlanta. It was so beautiful. When I saw the first pictures, I was overwhelmed. The photographer managed to make it look almost more wonderful than the actual day. It was amazing to see two people so excited about being in love and getting married. But, it was incredible to see two families and two sets of friends so happy for a couple. 

Let me give you and example; I’ve been to weddings before where people clap after Mr. and Mrs. Whatever are presented to the congregation. That’s weird and a bit demonstrative for those of us in the South. But, at the end of Sumarie’s wedding people not only clapped, they whooped and hollered and gave the bride and groom a STANDING OVATION! Can you believe that? A real live, every single person in the room laughing and smiling and crying standing ovation. It was so sweet, and so them. Well, I didn’t think anyone was more excited than I was, but I was wrong! 

I’m going to share my reception toast with you here (if you were there, just skip to the end) because it sums up my feelings better than me just trying to tell you how it felt to have my 40-something year old sister finally hitched.

I’m Sumarie’s sister and I’m excited to be here tonight. As Sumarie started planning her wedding I would get lists of things to do or help her with. My response was always the same, “I’ll take care of that.” Amy, we need to get these programs to the church. “I’ll take care of that.” Amy, Keith likes Krispy Kreme donuts and I’ve seen these cute wedding cakes made of them. We are NOT having a Krispy Kreme wedding cake, but maybe we could make a groom’s cake out of them. “I’ll take care of that.” (I did too and it was really cute!) Never on my list was giving a toast at the rehearsal dinner or reception.

Soon, Sumarie started talking about who WAS going to speak at the reception; Keith’s brother, Keith’s dad…and I told Sumarie that I could do that for her. Over a couple of weeks I offered several times and her response was something like this, “You don’t have to.” So, I became determined to talk to you tonight.

Like any good, older sister, Sumarie has had a profound impact on my life. She had very definite opinions about what instrument I would play in band in sixth grade. In high school, she told me I should wear make up to school at least once a week and I should shave my legs with hair conditioner (at this point I looked at Sumarie who was nodding earnestly to a perplexed Keith). And, she had very strong opinions about where I would go to college.

She began subtly influencing me in this decision by doing things like inviting me to her college apartment, which I thought was very cool. On these visits we would do all kinds of sophisticated college things like walking around campus learning the words to silly songs and eating a whole Pepperidge Farm cake in one sitting. When I continued to talk to her about going to Texas Christian University in Ft. Worth, she pulled out the big guns and said, “You know if you go to school in Texas you’ll only get to come home at Thanksgiving!” And, since that seemed like an eternity to an 18 year old who had never been away from home, I moved to Auburn. (Whoops and hollers from the Auburn people in the crowd.)

I moved into the duplex our dad owned in Auburn as Sumarie was moving out. Once I was settled into 320 Genelda Ave. I was delighted to find that I had not only inherited most of Sumarie’s furniture, but several of her friends. One of those friends was Andrew Keys (here I motioned to Andrew who was sitting right by the dance floor and he promptly spit out the piece of cake he had just put into his mouth). Andrew introduced me to his roommate Bobby Britton who eventually became my husband. So, in a very real way Sumarie has influenced my marriage and adult life as well.

But, I want to let it be known that I had a part to play in bringing about this happy day. Several years ago I got a book called The Power of a Praying Parent and began praying for my kids Allen and Davis. (Here Allen waved to the crowd, Davis hid behind Bobby) I started praying for their education, their friends and their spouses. After several months, I began including Sumarie in those “spouse” prayers. I prayed them for a long time and I had fun imagining what “Mr. Sumarie” would be like. (had to pause here for the laughing to die down, didn’t realize this would be so funny…) In some things I was right on. I imagined he would love dogs, like to travel and be very close to his family. I also thought he would be very serious, quite liberal and tall. Keith, I’m so glad I was wrong. (Allen asked me later, “Mom, you’re glad Uncle Keith is short?” Well, no, Allen, I don’t really have an opinion on Mr. Sumarie’s height, good point.) 

I’m so thankful God let me see such a happy answer to my prayers. (Started crying here and really didn’t think I would. People started clapping for me. If I’d known that was all I’d have to do to get applause…) I only hope God will let me see such a wonderful answer for Allen and Davis. Sumarie, if they find someone who loves them as much as Keith loves you, they will be blessed indeed. 

Raise your glasses with me again to my sister and brother-in-law, to Sumarie and Keith! God Bless!

I told Keith later that I was surprised to see people laughing and crying. I thought my toast was so personal to me and my relationship with my sister. He said something about the human condition.  Anyway, it was all really sweet and wonderful.

Now, 6 years after the fact, I'm happy to say that Sumarie and Keith are still happily married. They travel and entertain and are a wonderful aunt and uncle. They love their dogs and old houses in Atlanta and their friends and family. 

They give me hope; not just that you can find love at any time in your life, but also that life is fun and good. I'm so thankful for my sister and I'm so glad I FINALLY got that big brother I never had.

Wisdom from Pinterest: “Before marrying someone, you should first make them use a computer with slow Internet, just to see who they really are.”  I don't think Sumarie and Keith did that, but I'm glad it worked out anyway.

1 comment: