Thursday, January 17, 2019

Amy's Story Part 2


                Previously, on AmyLocks, I shared the first part of a talk I recently gave at my church.  Here’s part two of that story.

                My adult life in a nutshell or gift box can be summed up in four words: marriage, missions, motherhood and moving.  Today, we’ll talk about the first two.

                Marriage. My sister, Sumarie, graduated from Auburn University in Auburn, AL about three months before fall quarter my freshman year.  Our Daddy owned a duplex just off campus where we each took a turn living.  When I got settled into 320 Genelda Avenue, I was pleased and surprised to find I had inherited not only Sumarie’s furniture, but also several of her friends. One of those friends was Andrew, a brilliant engineer, who was getting his masters in astrology, I mean, astronomy, and was under direct orders from Sumarie to “take care of my little sister.”  Andrew would occasionally show up at my house and invite me to eat at Arby’s, go see the free movie on campus or play tennis.  On one of these outings, Andrew introduced me to his cute roommate Bobby.

Apparently, Bobby was mature enough to overlook the immaturity of Amy Bass, the loud, silly freshman.  I was a very excited and overscheduled Auburn student and had to refuse Bobby’s first offer of a date because of another commitment.  But, Bobby persisted and asked me to see Up With People about a week later.  That date was followed quickly by evenings getting yogurt at The Railing or watching the aforementioned free movies, or seeing Twila Paris in concert. Auburn University offered lots of great free events in the spring of 1990, at God’s direction I have no doubt.  Bobby never would have asked me out so often if he’d had to pay for dinner and a movie each time.  He says he knew it was love when we went on three dates and he spent less than $5 total. 

Three years to the day after that first “Up With People” date, Bobby and I were married at my hometown church. The ceremony was much too long and there were way too many attendants.  My hair and the sleeves of my wedding gown were huge, but oh! what a perfect day. We celebrated our 25 anniversary this past May.  It has been mostly blissful.

While in college, I attended a Bible study taught by Betty Thomas.  Ms. Betty taught a bunch of headstrong, college-educated women that the Bible says wives are to be submissive and respectful of their husbands.  That was a tricky line to walk in the nineties and even more so now.  She told us that God blesses the obedience of such counter-cultural behavior.  I chose to trust her, at the time, but now I’ve lived it and she’s right. If I hadn’t spent two hours every Monday night of my college years sitting on the floor of Ms. Betty’s well-vacuumed home, learning what it meant to be a Godly woman, my marriage to Bobby would have been even rockier than it sometimes was.  Marriage hasn’t always been easy but after this quarter of a century spent together I’m blessed to be able to say that Bobby Britton is not only my calmer, wiser and better half.  He’s also my best friend. 

            Missions. Close to the end of the three years Bobby and I dated, he told me was having a struggle with God. God had asked Bobby if he was willing to give up everything for Him. At first Bobby honestly admitted he wasn’t. Over time, however, Bobby realized he was willing to submit completely.  As a result, Bobby was praying about going overseas as a missionary. I had just spent a summer on a missions trip of sorts.  I was a “Peace Intern” with the Disciples of Christ denomination which meant I travelled across the country talking with high schoolers about peace with justice issues.  Through that journey I learned I didn’t want to go off and have adventures then come home and tell Bobby about them. I wanted us to experience things together. So, Bobby decided to wait until we were married and could pursue missions as a couple.

About a year after our wedding, Bobby and I started a long application process with International Teams (IT), a small missions organization based near Chicago, IL. During conversations with IT we were given several options regarding where we could serve.  Did we want to help plant a church in Spain or work with refugees in Austria?  We chose Austria and joined the Baden Area Refugee Team.

We spent two years in Baden doing some of the hardest work I’ve ever done. It was emotionally draining. The definition of a refugee is ”a person who has left their home out of a well-founded fear of persecution.”  What that definition doesn’t tell you is how scared and desperate and sad a refugee can become.  As a refugee in “the system”, you’re applying for asylum in other countries and trying to document the reasons you left your homeland.  You’re interviewed extensively by officials in a language that probably isn’t familiar to you, but mostly, you’re just waiting, sometimes for years.
         
           The team we worked with tried to make that waiting a little easier.  We offered coffee bar nights where people could gather and drink coffee, of course, but they could also play chess and checkers.  Men gathered to watch the Jesus film in one of over 50 languages and receive a Bible in the language that spoke to their heart.  We held weekly kids clubs where we shared Bible stories and snacks and games with the refugee children.  We had women’s times where we ate together and did crafts and the women could get to know each other. 

Bobby with some rowdy boys at Kids' Club
At one of these women’s times, I sat with a Kurdish woman from Iraq named Noksha.  She didn’t speak English, I didn’t speak Kurdish and neither of us spoke much German which was often the common language between us.  I had the fun job of “translating” for Noksha that day.  A different story could have made my life easier, but on this day a missionary friend shared from Mark 5:24-34, the woman with the issue of blood who, in her hopelessness and desperation, waded into a crowd of people to touch the hem of Jesus’ robe. She craved comfort and healing. In order to get the point of the story across, I used lots of simple German words and a great deal of acting. At one point I was lying on the floor by our table and I made sweeping arm gestures through the whole thing.  Yeah.  That was fun.  I wonder what in the world Noksha thought I was trying to tell her.
           
           But, most of our work involved visiting with refugees in their rooms or in our home.  We shared stories and food and culture with each other. We also shared the intense joy and relief our friends felt when accepting visas to travel to their new home, or the devastation and anguish they experienced when denied asylum yet again.  We offered these people all we had which was hope in a relationship with Christ.  We reminded them that Christ cared about people from Iran or Afghanistan or Sierra Leone who had to leave home and family to travel a difficult and costly road to an end they couldn’t see, just as He cared for the woman in Mark who touched the hem of his robe.
           
           Three people we grew to love were Alina, Hamik and Sissian, a young couple with a three-year old daughter.  Bobby and I spent a lot of time with them, sharing dreams and hopes, and enjoying each other’s company.  This is the one refugee family I still hear from because we’re friends on Facebook of all things.  Alina, Hamik and Sisian eventually got asylum, then citizenship here in the US.  They’ve both completed their educations, have good jobs and now that same daughter, the one I remember being so tiny and bright eyed, is in her first year of dental school in California.

I loved being a missionary and was sad when God called us back to the United States.  I felt competent and useful in Austria.  The ministry was a good fit for me and I loved working so closely with our team; a group of people who’s values and priorities so closely aligned with my own.  I’m so thankful I fell in love with a man who had missions in his heart because I know I would never have attempted such an adventure on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment