Thursday, January 31, 2019


Part 4

            This is the last installment of what I shared at my church in early December. 

At a women’s ministry meeting in November, talk centered around our Christmas brunch which was coming up fast.  Mainly, we didn’t have a speaker.  Several women had been asked but we didn’t have any takers yet.  Sitting across the room, my friend Gina looked at me and said, “You should share at the brunch.  Who knows where you’ll be in the spring.” She’s right, I have no idea where I’ll be come spring or where I’ll be living when the next women’s brunch at Shiloh Bible Church rolls around. 

When Gina made her suggestion, I did what I usually do when I’m uncomfortable, I laughed and changed the subject.  I’m really good at it.  But, I was thinking I wanted to share at the brunch and I felt God had something for me to say.  Instead of trusting Him, saying “Yes. I’d like to do that,” and moving on, I kind of freaked out.  I talked to my husband about it, emailed a friend who I knew would be honest, and felt like crying for most of the night.  Then, as I prayed, God asked me, “What’s the word I gave you this year?”

My "enough" necklace
I had always thought people who had a “word of the year” were so cool and together.  I tried to drum up a word of the year several times before. Though I could come up with something fairly interesting, I would promptly forget and I never wrote the words down. So, I was delighted when God actually gave me a word of the year in 2017 and again in 2018. This time I remembered them, they stuck. 

My word for 2018 was Enough.  That word took on different meanings over the months.  To start with, God told me He was enough for me – all I need.  His provision is enough, He sees and answers my prayers before I speak them.  God then moved on to tell me that I am enough.  My story is interesting enough.  He created me like I am for a reason.  He didn’t make me less than. He would provide all I need to have and all I need to be through Himself.  I don’t have to strive and wonder if I am enough.  It’s already accomplished.  It’s done. 

Then as my boys’ high school graduation neared and I didn’t know what life would look like on the other side, God’s word took on a new tone.  As I whined to Him in prayer about my sorrow and the uncertainty in my life, God said sternly, “Enough!”  Enough with not trusting, enough with second-guessing.  Enough!  So, in the midst of my freak out about doing this talk, God said again, “Enough. Just do this thing, Amy. It’s ok. I’ll tell you what to say. I’ll take care of it. Just step out and share.”

2 Corinthians 9:15 was the verse for the event where I first shared this story, “Thanks be to God for His inexpressible gift.”  Our gifts are a reflection of the inexpressible gift God has given Believers in Christ.  When we share our gifts, whatever they may be; a shoebox you pack or a meal you prepare or a talk you give at a ladies’ brunch, you’re sharing what God has given you. 

It says in 2 Corinthians 9:10 as we pour out, God will pour into us and supply us with what we need so we can continue to give.  I got a laugh out of chapter 9 verse 7 when I was thinking about this talk, “Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.”  While I’m cheerful as I share now, I certainly wasn’t as I was stepping out to agree to speak.

High School Graduation
All of chapter 9 in 2 Corinthians is about gift giving. Paul covers how the Corinthians were supposed to offer their gifts. They were good at giving. Paul bragged on them for being so generous. Paul essentially wrote this letter to say, “Hey, I told the church in Macedonia you would help them and, what’s more, you would want to help them.  So, I’m writing to warn you that an opportunity to give is coming. AND, when you do this amazing thing, guess what?  The Macedonians will be so blessed they’ll long for you and praise God because you met their needs.” It will be like a child getting a shoebox from Operation Christmas Child and praising God for His blessing and provision. You packed the box and sent the box.  But, God gets the glory.

I love this commercial from Apple.  It’s less than 3 minutes. Take time to watch it.  Here are the lyrics to the song in the video:

Wake up and smell the coffee
Is your cup half full or empty?
When we talk, you say it softly
But I love it when you
re awfully quiet, quiet
You see a piece of paper
Could be a little greater
Show me what you could make her
You’ll never know until you try it
You don’t have to keep it quiet
And I know it makes you nervous
But I promise you, it’s worth it
To show ’em everything you kept inside
Don’t hide, don’t hide
Too shy to say, but I hope you stay
Don’t hide away
Come out and play…
“Come out and play” by Billie Eilish

In this video, the girl wrote the story. She thought it up, typed it out and hid it away. God gave her that gift, but she wasn’t willing to share it. When her pages were blown into the town, people were blessed by what they read. When we share our gifts, we’re blessing others too. 

                I could have told you a lot more about each of these parts of my life, and maybe that’s my real gift to you, that I didn’t.  But, I hope you’re encouraged to be bold and brave to share whatever gifts God has blessed you with.  Share joyfully and whole-heartedly. I can’t wait to be blessed and encouraged by you!

                Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment