Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Bits and Pieces, Part 3


          For the last two weeks, you've been wading through a letter of advice I wrote to my twin boys. They graduated from high school in June 2018 and it threw me for a loop. I mean, I knew it was coming, but when graduation day and then worse, moving day, arrived, I was shocked. Where had the time gone? Had I taught them the things I intended to? Had I spent enough time with them? Had I been obedient to raise these young men like God asked me to?
           While I hoped my husband, Bobby, and I had imparted some sense of wisdom and love to these guys, I was afraid. Afraid I might need 18 more years to truly do justice to the raising of a blessing, afraid I might have taken too many naps and not enough trips to the library with them, afraid I had missed telling them something truly important. 
           So, I started praying. Then, I started writing. Below is the last of the advice I felt compelled, at this point, to share with Allen and Davis and now, with you. If you missed the first two parts you can read them here and here.  


           Recycle – It’s the right thing to do and it doesn’t have to be complicated. Hopefully, it will make a big difference. Recycling is one of those things people notice, probably because they don’t do it. Take a bag to the grocery store. Drop your glass, plastic and newspapers off at the recycling center. It’s not that big a deal, it will inspire others to get on the ball and again, hopefully it will make a big difference.

            Live Simply – When you can uncomplicate your life, do so. There are lots of great books and TV shows out there about this. Though I may have lots of stuff, I try to keep my schedule simple. I also try to get rid of extra stuff regularly, or at least when we move. Don’t fuss at your family about this. Just lead by example.

            Travel – When you have a choice between buying things or taking a trip, opt for the trip. Don’t be afraid to try a new place for vacation or take your kids on a long car ride. Dad will be happy to provide some of his epic shortcuts for you. That is what amazing memories are made of. If you have the chance to live overseas at some point, do it. Your dad and I will visit, and it will change you for the better. Experiencing new and challenging things, especially as a family, is what makes you stronger. Remember, camping is always a fun, cheaper option. Just get out there.
If you have a kid that gets car sick, make sure you have plastic bags close at hand and put the kid in the front if possible. While I don’t think sticking your fingers out of a car window will take away the nausea (as your Grandmom told me), it may distract someone long enough to help them feel better.

Take Care of Your Health – Eat fruits and vegetables every day, every meal if possible. Take a walk. Go outside and sit in the sun, breathe the fresh air. Find a doctor you love and trust. I read once that you should find a doctor about your age then you can grow old together. 

Turn off the Screens – Luke Bryan sings a song called Most People are Good. In it he says, “I believe kids oughta stay kids as long as they can. Turn off the screen, go climb a tree, get dirt on their hands.” Good advice for kids, good advice for you too. Enjoy the simple, pay attention to the people around you, don’t be glued to your phone or the TV or any screen.

San Antonio Symphony in the Beeville High School Auditorium
Enjoy lots of different activities – When Dad and I were dating, he took me on all kinds of different outings – bike riding in Auburn, the ballet at the Shakespeare Festival in Montgomery, free concerts on campus. He read you should do lots of different things when you’re dating to see how your “special friend” acts in different situations. I passed his test and we had lots of fun. Dad still delights in finding fun and different things for us to do. Just last night in Beeville, TX, he took me to see the San Antonio symphony at Beeville High School. The music was wonderful, the tickets were cheap, and we enjoyed a night out. There’s so much neat stuff out there to do. Go do it!

            I love y’all more than I can put into words. While I think you know that, let me just say it here, I love you, more than I could ever adequately express, more than my own life. As a result of that love, I feel the need to keep on telling you stuff. Some of these bits and pieces may seem trite or silly, but I think they’re important. Humor me, read this and live at least some of it out.

Love,
Mom

            P.S. I reserve the right to add to this list at any time and without any warning. I am still your Mom.

Something fun to brighten your day...

I want you to have it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment